About Us

Who We Are

History of Auxiliary

On March 3, 1939, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Home opened its doors in what originally was a Jewish Orphanage. In March 1940, the Auxiliary was established by a group of Catholic women to assist the Sisters in their “Labor of Love”. Priests in the Catholic churches of the diocese, as well as the various religious orders, were generous not only in giving their services, but in interesting their parishioners in the work.

Many people, both Catholic and those of other faiths, volunteered their time and talent to the Home. They formed sewing circles which made pads and dressings; some furnished clothing, gowns and pajamas. Both men and women visited the residents, bring them delicacies, reading to them, writing letters for them, performing all the little services which mean so much to the sick. There were groups that came to do the laundry, sewing, cleaning, cooking, ironing, sitting at the front desk or whatever needed to be done. Today, the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne and paid employees take care of these needs. The all-volunteer Auxiliary supports their work through fundraising on their behalf, and events at the Home supporting the Sisters, staff, and residents.

Support for the needs of the Home

What is needed of the Auxiliary today is the monetary support for the needs of the Home. In October 1956, the Auxiliary began an annual Champagne Luncheon and Fashion Show to raise money. Today it is still a Champagne Luncheon or Tea, but a Silent Auction has replaced the Fashion Show.  All funds raised go directly to the Home with a small percentage withheld for operating expense of the Auxiliary.


Board Officers

Meg Burnett


Genevieve Lewis

Present Elect

Gwendolyn Scott


Regina James

Recording Secretary

Florence Pharris

Corresponding Secretary

Bertha Rucker-Scott

Membership Chair

Marie Murray

Auxiliary Drive Chair

Emma Reynolds

Luncheon Chair

Scroll to Top